Fantastic Northern Norway Tour - Feb 22 - Mar 1, 2020
When my son said that he had a lifelong dream to see the northern lights, I knew that I'd need the help of a travel agent familiar with northern Scandinavia. A quick internet search led me to Kimkim, which had already done the work of planning the outline for a perfect trip. I had never used an internet based travel agent before, but the idea of using agents based where we would be traveling was quite appealing so I gave them a chance. I was very glad I did.
From the very beginning it was a personal experience. I worked with Ingrid and Hilde, who both were very responsive and worked quite hard to create a custom trip for us. Their communication was excellent, and I especially appreciated their attention to emergency contacts in case anything went wrong. Unfortunately we arrived in Bodø to gale force winds, which immediately threw a wrench into our itinerary since the ferries were canceled. Hilde immediately rebooked our hotels and suggested an alternative and completely worthy itinerary. I expect that a lot of travel agents would let you down in circumstances like this, but not Kimkim. This "above and beyond" service convinced me to use them again for any of my future travel plans.
The trip itself was exceptional, and had many highlights:
- Northern lights. Even though we had poor weather, our guide in Tromsø managed to find the one spot with clear skies and we were rewarded with an amazing display
- Dogsledding. We really appreciated that it was much more than a glorified ride at Trapper's Farm, which has been our past experience with other sledding opportunities
- The people. The staff at every hotel, shop, guided tour, and museum were knowledgeable, friendly, and exceptionally welcoming.
- The sights. Lafoten in particular was extraordinarily beautiful
- The museums. The Bodø aviation museum, and the Tromsø polar and WWII museums were particular highlights. Honorable mention also goes to the science center and planetarium in Tromsø, where we went to ensure at least one sighting of the northern lights.
- The meals. We ate like kings and loved the food!
All in all I can't recommend the Norway tours more highly. There are plenty of sample itineraries to choose from, but the Kimkim agents are perfectly happy to customize one of the tours to your needs. You won't regret it - we certainly didn't!