Fullstack Engineer (remote or partially-remote)
Kimkim was created by experienced travel entrepreneurs. Our mission is to help independent travelers have unforgettable travel experiences by creating custom trips that perfectly match the unique requirements and desires of each traveler. We do this by combining cutting-edge technology with a global network of travel specialists. This combination of humans and technology creates magical experiences that can’t be achieved through technology alone.
We have helped tens of thousands of couples, families, groups, and individuals plan trips of a lifetime to over 90 destinations. Whether you and your loved ones want to dive into Italy's rich culinary culture, explore Costa Rica's jungles, or challenge yourself with a trek in the Himalayas, we can help turn your dream into the perfect trip.
Fullstack Engineer (remote or partially-remote)
We are looking for driven, curious, self-motivated engineers to join us and grow with us. You’ll join as the second engineer on the team with many opportunities to design new product features, improve code structure and best practices, strengthen development processes, and take on additional ownership and responsibilities.
You should expect to work on all layers of the system, from designing the DB structure, business logic, views, UI, interactions, analytics, AB Tests, internal dashboards & tools, and more. This is a great opportunity to learn more about each of these areas.
We are a small distributed team looking for people who are comfortable balancing several responsibilities.
We are open to fully-remote colleagues in the US, or partially-remote based in the CA Bay Area (eventually meeting up 1-2 times a week based on location)
Kimkim helps travelers have unforgettable authentic travel experiences. We do this by connecting independent travelers with local specialists who design personalized itineraries including activities, accommodations, and transportation.
We partner with passionate travel specialists in 90+ destinations around the world who work with top local activity operators, guides, and accommodations. All trips are 100% climate neutral.
Read kimkim traveler reviews on TrustPilot
2020 started as a high growth year for kimkim, and things quickly changed as the world stopped traveling.
For 2021 we are seeing early signs that travel will come back stronger than ever, and we are preparing to be ready when it does. We have a long, focused product roadmap to improve our travel planning tools for both our specialists and travelers.
- The kimkim team is currently 9 people, working remotely from a few hubs:
- The CEO/Founder (Joost), Head of Destination Development (Eric), and our Customer Support Specialist (Julia) are in Boulder, CO
- The Head of Product/COO (Yenyi) and Head of Engineering (Chris) are in the SF Bay Area
- The Destination Development Team (Emily, Kate, Chelsey, Megan) are in Amsterdam
About the Engineering & Product Team
Kimkim is a marketplace, and the product and engineering teams are building products to help our specialists, travelers, and our internal support team—in essence, 3 distinct products to drive the growth of the overall marketplace.
As an early member of our team, you will have the opportunity to shape these three distinct products.
- For our specialists: we are building tools to quickly create beautiful itineraries and price them effectively. We build tools to help our specialists manage many concurrent ongoing traveler trips and tools to help prioritize their time for the most likely trips to book.
- For our travelers: we want to create a fun and engaging onboarding experience, where travelers can tell us what they are looking for on their trip. This also helps us match them to the best available specialist. We are also experimenting with ways to increase brand loyalty as well as creating “6-star experiences” during the trip.
- For our internal team: we want to build tools and metrics to help our team grow our specialist network in a “quality guaranteed” way. We identify best practices and try to train and encourage the rest of the partner network to adopt them. We want to be able to share metrics that help pinpoint specific areas for growth and improvement for each partner company.
We work in a flexible way distributed across multiple time zones, with most communication asynchronous. Daily communication is over Slack and Zoom, and we rely on shared Google Docs, Jira, Figma, and Loom videos to communicate asynchronously.
No specs are 100% final. We encourage and expect everyone on the team to share their perspectives and feel comfortable sharing different viewpoints to help us understand the tradeoffs between certain implementation decisions/designs from a technical perspective.
We break projects into smaller chunks, with each typically taking 0-3 days from start to launch. We have no scheduled releases and push code several times a week or day as projects are ready. We try to design and code for flexibility, as we typically make changes once we see things live and in use.
We are looking for people who communicate clearly, set good expectations, and deliver consistently.
About the Full-stack Position
This is a growth-focused role: We are looking for people who are looking to grow in their skills and responsibilities to become a leader on the team as we continue to hire more engineers. We are looking for people who are comfortable with changing product roadmaps as we want to stay flexible and adapt to new challenges and opportunities.
Tech Stack, Tools, Key Services
Heroku • Rails • Postgres • Bootstrap • Redis • AWS (RDS, S3, CloudFront)
SendGrid • Mapbox • Stripe • Twilio
Jira • Bitbucket • Figma • Rollbar • Looker • Google Analytics
Have other suggestions, improvements? Great, let us know!
Growth Goals & Expectations
As a small but lean startup, we have many opportunities to take on ownership and responsibility. As travel comes back in 2021 we expect to re-grow quickly and sustainably.
Hiring Process & Expectations
While we do not require previous experience in any particular language, strong candidates will have some experience in full-stack development (DB to UI), ideally on some web-based, consumer-facing product.
- Interested? Email us at email@example.com with your resume (or apply on Angel.co) and some information about why you think you are a great fit for kimkim and this role.
- Interviews will include technical discussions as well as meeting with others on the team, such as the Head of Product and CEO/Founder.
- Technical Interview
- We want the process to reflect daily work as closely as we can.
- We will share background info on a mock project before the interview so that you can familiarize yourself with the scope, requirements, and think about how you would approach the project.
- During the interview, you should be able to react to new requirements that come in scope and be comfortable discussing different solutions and tradeoffs.
- You'll be asked to write code in some form in a shared editor. But, we don't get caught up in semantics. It's great if you have Rails experience. If not, code in whatever language you think makes the most sense for your skills and the situation. Make up a language as long as it’s not too abstract. We are more interested in the process and your approach.
We are looking for people with a well-rounded skill set who are looking to learn and help us grow the team and the company.