Wonderful - Sep 21 - Sep 26, 2019
Balestrand was wonderful, probably the highlight of our trip, especially the Fjord boat trip there and from. The hotel was also quite special
Flam was also wonderful as well, as was the train ride.
Given the objectives (truly scenic, awe-inspiring nature), I felt like we could have been guided differently.
The others were fine and reasonable for the price paid, but I have some feedback for the rest of the trip
1. Initially we had a day in Bergen set aside, which I changed and I was glad we did because Bergen while more enjoyable than your typical European city wasn't why we were in Norway
2. Tromso we knew was a risk given the low probability of seeing the Northern Lights, but I wish we had given a more thorough pros/cons discussion of going. We didn't see the lights, it was raining (none of which can be predicted), but I feel like we wasted a day a few thousand dollars on that decision. I would have rather spent another day in a city like Balestrand or Flam
Besides that, the packing guidance was less helpful as we were told to pack thermal underwear, jackets and clothing that took up a lot of room in the suitcase, and we ended up not needing because the Tromso bus was warm (where you spend the majority of the time on the tour) and they have thermal jackets, so I wish we were guided to pack differently.
The water bottle was unnecessary as well, more of a nice to have.
3. I wish there was more detail about the transportation (e.g., length of trip, where to sit on the train, boat, etc)
4. I wish we had more choices about the hotels. Balestrand and Flam hotels were very nice, but the Bergen hotel was not great and the Tromso hotel was terrible and dirty
5. I wish I had more flexibility to change the room bookings. I ended up needing an extra room, and it proved impossible to do through KimKim