The right accommodation can make or break a trip, so our travelers leave the challenge to us. With varying budgets, diverse trip styles, and a range of needs and interests, kimkim travelers interpret "the perfect hotel" differently. Kimkim's hotel visit program considers all these details and scours each location for the best options, focusing on locally owned boutique hotels that offer authentic experiences. As a result, our travelers get a curated list of the best accommodations for their particular trip.
Book With Confidence
Our process is thorough, starting with a base of trusted accommodations of the highest ratings loved by kimkim travelers. There are always exceptions, but our criteria include:
- Small, locally owned, boutique hotels (under 100 rooms, if possible)
- Central locations (within walking distance of major sites)
- Authentic style (fitting the local scenery, culture, and architecture)
- Amenities that enhance our travelers' experience (think a spa with locally crafted products, a rooftop bar with stellar views, or onsite eateries offering regional cuisine from local producers).
Next, our team hits the ground, visiting all properties on our focused list. We use these inspections to meet the hotel staff and owners, build personal relationships with the property, and confirm that each lodging fits our criteria. Hospitality is about the personal touch, and knowing who hosts our travelers makes all the difference. Whenever possible, we get on a first-name basis with the key people running the show, ensuring they always welcome kimkim travelers as friends.
Enjoy Authentic Experiences
We focus on locally owned boutique hotels that offer a more authentic experience within the destination. That means elements like unique decor from local artists, onsite restaurants serving farm-to-table cuisine, complimentary happy hours featuring regional wines, and buildings with historic architecture. Our recommended properties offer character that fits into the local scene, meaning our travelers can experience regional culture even at their hotel.
Chat with a local specialist who can help organize your trip.
Trust in Sustainable Practices
Sustainability is part of our core values and a priority when planning trips for our travelers. We look for hotels with sustainable practices, such as using renewable energy sources, serving organic and locally sourced food, and reducing waste. Sustainability goes a bit further in some destinations, like Costa Rica, where many properties double as wildlife habitats.
We also highlight lodgings that support local communities, such as with a tree-planting project to care for area wildlife or by hiring only within the local workforce. Some hotels even donate a percentage of their profits to the community or initiatives to address social issues.
Stay Within Your Budget
To accommodate all travelers, we find the best hotels for various budgets:
- Luxury lodgings often provide exclusive perks like fine-dining restaurants, marble bathrooms, organic spas, outdoor swimming pools, or suites with in-room hot tubs.
- Mid-Range properties feature similar perks but without as much luxury, such as a rooftop garden terrace with an afternoon happy hour, a locally sourced breakfast buffet, or a spacious lounge with games and cozy seating.
- Standard hotels can range from relaxed yet hip properties with a few amenities (like swimming pools, spas, rooftop restaurants, or private terraces) to simple accommodation offering just the basics (onsite breakfast, parking, etc.) so travelers have the opportunity to focus their budget on experiences rather than lodging.
Our hotel recommendations are the top options in each of these groupings, with our focus always remaining on small boutique hotels with high ratings, local experiences, and great amenities. Ultimately, kimkim travelers can stay within their budget without missing out on the perks.
Savor the Comforts
Regardless of their budget, our travelers enjoy a comfortable stay. All our hand-picked accommodations feature cozy rooms, comfy beds, and clean bathrooms with modern amenities. Of course, this will look different at a luxury hotel on the cobbled streets of Montemarte in Paris versus a cozy cabin resort deep in the jungles of Costa Rica. However, each will still provide the comforts that our travelers expect.
When possible, we prioritize in-room amenities like big beds, air conditioning or ceiling fans, minifridges, locally produced toiletries, private terraces, modern bathrooms, and views. We want our travelers to feel excited about their lodgings, whether returning to the room after a day of exploring the local culture or spending a leisurely morning in bed before an excursion.
Meet Your Needs
We try to find options for all travelers and trip styles at every destination. We understand the importance of specific amenities that make trips more pleasant for families, honeymooners, small groups, adventure seekers, solo travelers, and more. We can recommend the ideal accommodation for families who need entertainment while traveling with the entire crew, couples who prefer a romantic setting and more privacy, or solo adventurers who'd like some cool common spaces to connect with other travelers.