Experience the best of Italy's Lake Garda and the surrounding region with this 8-day trip. Spend time in the lively and historic towns of Sirmione and Peschiera del Garda. There are two majestic Scaligero Castles protecting the lake, one in Sirmione and the second further north in Malcesine. Visit both and admire the romantic views of Lake Garda. Ride a cable car up to Monte Baldo and explore the wild botanical garden at the top. From Desenzano del Garda, go on a cycling and wine tasting tour, and take a guided day trip to Verona.
Explore Malcesine & Monte Baldo on Lake Garda, Lake Garda
Embrace a unique experience that many visitors skip and take a cable car ride into the serene Alpine nature. Without a fixed schedule, you’re free to hike, bike, or just admire the views! When you're ready for a bite to eat, the local olives and lemons are particularly delicious. Malcesine makes great limoncello, an excellent way to raise a refreshing toast to a fun day!
- Use the local ferry service to travel from where you're staying to Malcesine. This charming village is set on the northern side of Lake Garda and connects Riva del Garda to Desenzano del Garda. The journey can be quite long, but the scenery is beautiful!
- Spend some time wandering the winding streets and enjoying a coffee or gelato before visiting the majestic Scaligero Castle. Locals know it as the sister of the castle in Sirmione. Soak in the romantic atmosphere of Malcesine and its castle, emanating from the beauty of the village itself and the spectacular views you'll encounter here and from the top of Monte Baldo.
- You can take a cable car to reach the peak of the mountain. The station is located on Via Navene Vecchia, up from the harbor. From there, you'll enjoy a peaceful ascent up the mountain. The cable car stops once at San Michele, where you can take a quick photo and change to a larger cabin for the final part of the journey. This cable car has a rotating floor to give all inside equally stunning 360-degree views.
- Monte Baldo is great for trekking, paragliding, and biking. The area is known as the "Garden of Europe" with its excellent variety of botanical species and alpine flora. Surprisingly to many, there are 62 types of orchids growing on Monte Baldo!
- If you're interested in a more relaxing day, there are some short trails to walk, plus several mountain hut cafes and restaurants where you can sit and enjoy views of the lake. The food is slightly different from typical Italian cuisine, so trying some local dishes is interesting.
- When you're ready to descend, take the cable car back down the mountain and enjoy the panoramic view over Lake Garda and the Alps once again.
Itineraries with Explore Malcesine & Monte Baldo on Lake Garda
This 7-day itinerary will bring you from the canals of Venice to bustling Milan via Lake Garda. Be charmed and amazed by the highlights of the lagoon city of Venice. Escape the crowds and find tranquility on Lake Garda, and enjoy a day trip to nearby Lake Como, visiting grand villas such as Villa Olmo and Villa Monastero. Explore Milan's rich history on a walking tour of the city through the famous Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II and the other iconic sites around Piazza Duomo.
With this 13-day itinerary, visit the most spectacular mountain ranges and lakes in Northern Italy. Spend a day hiking through a national park in the Dolomites region, and take a day trip to the magical Lake Misurina. Breathe in the clear alpine air as you walk around the towns of Bolzano and Bressanone in the Funes Valley. On Lake Garda, enjoy views from the top of Monte Baldo and the Scaliger Castles in Malcesine and Sirmione. Round off your trip in Verona, going wine tasting in the Valpolicella region.
Take a 12-day trip across Northern Italy and the Lakes region with this itinerary. Start your trip in Venice with a guided walking tour of Piazza San Marco and the canals of the 'Floating City'. Visit two Italian lakes rich in natural beauty, Lake Garda and Lake Como, and enjoy a cable car ride to the top of Monte Baldo for panoramic views and walking trails. Take a day trip to the romantic city of Verona, and tour elegant villas in the villages of Varenna and Bellagio. Explore history and art at Milan's Cathedral and eat your way through Turin's street food scene.
Go from lakes to mountains and back again with this nine-day itinerary. Wander the shores of Lake Garda, take a cable car up to the top of Monte Baldo, ride some of the most famous Swiss train routes, and more as you enjoy the views, history, and more along the way.