Take a two-week jaunt between some of Greece's most popular sites with this itinerary. Start off with a spin through Athens, enjoying a food tour, and views from the Acropolis before you ferry out to Mykonos. Cruise around the island to experience its beaches and bustling nightlife, then head to your final stop in Santorini, where you'll hike, sail, and sip your way through Cycladic culture.
If your main focus is history (and depending on the historical period that interests you), the following museums should be at the top of your list:
- Acropolis Museum: Discover the ancient artifacts from the Acropolis archeological site and visit the Parthenon, dedicated to the Goddess Athena.
- National Archaeological Museum: Explore Athens through a range of important historical periods with a vast collection of exhibits, including art, sculpture, jewelry, and more.
- Byzantine & Christian Museum: Unearth the importance of the Byzantine period and Christian influences by perusing an impressive collection of frescoes, paintings, sculptures, and more, some dating as far back as the 3rd century.
- Modern Art Museum: Explore an exceptional collection of contemporary art from Greek and international artists, all set in a former brewery.
- National Gallery: Browse Greek and European artists, ranging from the 14th to the 20th centuries.
- Museum of Cycladic Art: Set in a beautiful villa, view ancient work from Cycladic artists, including sculptures and artifacts. The museum's shop features truly unique souvenirs, and kids will enjoy the family-friendly exhibits.
- Plato Academy Digital Museum: Explore Plato's school of thought by combining philosophy and digital technology. One highlight is the digital replication of Plato's cave as described in The Republic.
- Museum of Ancient Greek Technology: Admire a working model of the Antikythera Mechanism, the world's first analog computer.
Itineraries with Visit the Museums of Athens
See some of Greece's popular high points and hidden secrets with this itinerary. Start out in Athens, where you'll tour the Acropolis and visit the resort town of Vouliagmeni before you head out to the Cyclades. Your island journey includes Naxos, home to the marble village and a sailboat that will take you out to the neighboring Small Cyclades, followed by Santorini, where you'll explore the iconic caldera and the rest of the island before you return to Athens.
Spend 11 days traveling across the spectrum of Greece on this itinerary. After your arrival in Athens, you'll hop to Santorini, home of the famous caldera and ancient vineyards, then follow it up with the ancient Palace of Knossos and Spinalonga island off the coast of Crete.