From the top of the leaning tower of Pisa to the rolling hillsides of Tuscany, this 12-day itinerary is perfect for adventurous travelers. Start in Venice to explore ornate palaces and tour glassblowing workshops. Head to Florence for masterpieces by da Vinci and tour small vineyards and farms in Tuscany, then end in Rome—the world-famous home of the Vatican, bohemian neighborhoods, and a buzzing street food scene.
Visit the Leaning Tower & Historic Town of Pisa
Pisa is, of course, famous for the Leaning Tower at the Piazza dei Miracoli, where you’ll find many of the city's highlights. A half-day is all you'll need to explore Pisa and wander around the iconic monuments. Still, we recommend staying longer to uncover more of this fascinating city!
The "Plaza of Miracles" is the magical square where you'll see the famed tower, plus the Pisa Cathedral, the 12th-century Baptistery, and the Monumental Cemetery. Take an iconic photo standing next to the tower and walk around the buildings. Afterward, enjoy a stroll to the quieter part of town, the historic center, where you'll mingle with locals and university students, discovering the incredible Pisa Botanical Gardens.
Suggested Activities beyond the Leaning Tower:
- Dive into history at the Museo Nazionale, the city's most prized museum featuring stunning artifacts and sculptures.
- Pay a visit to the Santa Maria della Spina Church. Although small, it's one of Pisa's most beautiful churches, thanks to its ornate design and riverside location.
- Enjoy a cone of gelato or a cup of espresso in a streetside cafe near the Palazzo dei Cavalieri.
- Tour the Museo dell’ Opera del Duomo to see a whole host of delightful treasures. As a bonus, it's one of the least visited sites in Pisa, so you'll get plenty of time and space to enjoy everything!
- Go shopping for high-end luxury items on the historic Borgo Stretto and enjoy beautiful architecture as you browse. The street starts at the Piazza Garibaldi next to the Ponte di Mezzo.
- Explore the incredible Pisa Botanical Gardens, the world's oldest university botanical gardens.
Itineraries with Visit the Leaning Tower & Historic Town of Pisa
From Tuscany to Veneto to the Italian Riviera, this 12-day itinerary is perfect for indulgent travelers who want to see and taste the best of Italy. You'll start in Northern Italy, with a tour of Verona and then see romantic Venice. You'll visit the birthplace of the Renaissance in Florence, then tourTuscan vineyards, and visit Pisa's 'leaning tower.' Your adventure will end with the former fishing villages of the Cinque Terre where you'll sample the foods of Liguria — the Italian Riviera — including seafood, pesto, and focaccia.
Fare tredici (Italian for 'hit the jackpot') with this amazing 13-day itinerary of the Cinque Terre coastline. Hike between small villages on a stunning coastal path, snorkel to see the incredible Christ of the Abyss statue and sunbathe on rocky beaches in Portofino. Explore Genoa's maritime history & medieval downtown, then end in Pisa to climb the famous leaning tower and go wine tasting in the Tuscan countryside.
Explore Tuscany's incredible art and history on this itinerary. Start your trip in Florence, where world-famous works by Michelangelo, da Vinci, and others dominate the art scene. On a self-drive tour, explore the Tuscan countryside to see 13th-century churches in Siena and try the renowned Chianti wine. Visit the leaning tower of Pisa and relax on the beaches of Cinque Terre before ending your trip back in Florence.
Explore the region that gave birth to the modern Italian language on this packed 11-day trip. Start in Florence to see Michelangelo's 'David' sculpture and other famous Renaissance works, then head to Pisa to climb the leaning tower and try the local gelato. Sample world-famous wine and local pecorino cheese in the Val d'Orcia region and see Tuscany from a hot-air balloon. End in medieval Lucca, where you'll learn how to hand make your own pasta before relaxing in a 12th-century Piazza with a cup of coffee and a good book.