Sonder Casa Luz, Barcelona
Casa Luz is a standard hotel in Europe, but the location is incredible. Our room was on a very busy street, but the room itself was... Read more
- Enjoy a contemporary boutique vibe in the middle of the city with a great location next to the Universitat metro (allowing you to zip around Barcelona quickly) and sites like La Rambla and Plaça de Catalunya.
- Enjoy the delicious breakfast buffet on the hotel's top floor, complete with an outdoor terrace and city views.
- You'll find surprisingly spacious rooms for a small boutique hotel.
- The onsite rooftop restaurant is exceptional, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus offering a trendy bar space with occasional live music.
- The street-facing rooms tend to be noisy, since the hotel borders a busy street and square.
- Although the breakfast is worth the wait, it doesn't start until 8:30 am, which is later than other properties.
While visiting hotels in Barcelona, I made my base at Sonder Casa Luz. Even after seeing the luxury properties, I felt thankful to return to my oasis in a quiet, minimalist boutique hotel. The rooftop terrace is fantastic and where I enjoyed a few meals, devouring everything at the homemade breakfast buffet (and snagging a seat with views of Tibidabo). I also spent a night tasting tapas off the dinner menu—highly recommended. The live music was a nice way to end the evening, but the staff's kindness is what pulled it all together for me!
If you're looking to explore Barcelona's younger, trendier vibe, Casa Luz is an excellent standard option. Upon arrival, a neon sign advertising the property's very cool rooftop terrace and restaurant/bar greets you. Still, in the rooms, you'll find minimalist decor reflecting the Catalunyan countryside's serenity.
A prime location, Casa Luz straddles three hip neighborhoods (the Gothic Quarter, El Raval, and Eixample) while just steps away from hotspots like Plaça de Catalunya, Passeig de Gràcia, and La Rambla. You can see Plaça Universitat (home to a major metro stop) from the hotel's entrance.
Rooms & Bathrooms
As part of the Sonder group, Casa Luz maintains the same aesthetic as the company's other properties: minimalist, light wood, and touches of black and brown. Rooms are simple yet clean, spacious, and modern. All have balconies either facing the street, which can get a little noisy, or an inner courtyard (which you can request for a quieter stay). Family rooms feature bunk beds, and upgraded units have private terraces. Bathrooms are clean with splashes of colorful and unique tiling.
The property's biggest highlight is undoubtedly its rooftop terrace restaurant. The breakfast buffet served here contains natural ingredients, and you can enjoy it in the morning sunshine with city views. The restaurant also serves lunch and dinner, staying open late for live music and nightcaps. The staff is exceptionally kind, and they might top off your cava with a wink!