Last updated January 22nd, 2020
International travelers are authorized to enter Costa Rica’s three international airports: Juan Santamaría International Airport, Daniel Oduber Quirós Airport, and Tobías Bolaños Airport. As of November 1, 2020 Costa Rica has allowed all countries in the world to enter by air, as long as they meet the country’s visa and COVID-19 entry requirements.*
*For the most up to date information, please also refer to this link: https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa-rica/planning-your-trip/entry-requirements
- As of October 26, all local and foreign passengers who enter Costa Rica by air are not required to present an RT-PCR diagnostic test with a negative result.
- Starting January 26th, travelers returning to the US or Canada will have to present a negative COVID-19 test result. Our local specialists can help you organize this test. See details below.
Requirements to enter Costa Rica:
A) Complete the digital form called HEALTH PASS. This is available at https://salud.go.cr. The form should be completed no more than 48 hrs before your boarding time. You should also complete the form for every traveler, including minors.
B) Purchase health insurance. The health insurance can be purchased in your home country or purchased in Costa Rica. Your best option is to purchase the health insurance in your home country, however, if you are not clear which to purchase, or just pressed for there, the Costa Rican government has also identified two Costa Rican insurers that can provide the required coverage.
- National Insurance Institute (INS - Instituto Nacional de Seguros) https://www.grupoins.com/seguroparaviajeros
- Sagicor: https://tiendasagicor.com/en
For international insurance policies, tourists must request a certificate from their insurance company, issued in English or Spanish, verifying at least the following three conditions. (This certificate must be uploaded when filling out the electronic epidemiological HEALTH PASS):
- Effectiveness of the policy during the visit to Costa Rica.
- Guaranteed coverage of medical expenses in the event of becoming ill with the pandemic COVID-19 virus while in Costa Rica, for at least USD $50,000 (fifty thousand United States Dollars).
- Includes minimum coverage of USD $2,000 for lodging expenses issued as a result of the pandemic.
Note: Passengers who fail to comply with these requirements may not enter the country.
Upon landing in Costa Rica, travelers must wear face protection and comply with the strict protocols of the air terminal with regard to physical distancing, disinfection of carpets, and taking temperature readings, and must follow any other sanitary instructions.
To view a video with important U.S. entry information, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAc-cbzOhxM
Health Protocols while in the country
While in Costa Rica, it is important to know that masks are required in all public indoor venues. This includes wearing masks in all transportations (shuttle or private transfers) and in locations such as supermarkets, pharmacies and the public areas of your hotel.
Also, many locations take your temperature and ask you to sanitize your hands each time you enter.
These protocols are implemented to help you and the staff stay healthy. Please follow the directions of the local staff to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit to Costa Rica.
Travelers Returning to the United States
Starting January 26th, all travelers returning from international travel will need to show a negative COVID-19 test. The test must be taken within 3 days of their flight to the US departs and need to provide written documentation of the lab test results (paper or electronic).
To help our travelers, our specialists in Costa Rica have been proactive in finding appropriate labs throughout the country to be able to do the test in a timely fashion. Test have turn-around times of 4hrs (some labs in San Jose) to 48 hours, and test costs between $100 - $150 depending on the location and the speed of the test.
To find the best options for your trip, please work with your local specialist. They will review your itinerary and find the best time, and most convenient location for the test.