Ambassadors Residence Chania, Chania
Former ambassador's residence turned luxury hotel with a unique history, epic sea views, and an outdoor bar
The Ambassadors Residence was great! Really cool character - an "Old World" feel with modern conveniences. Location was ideal and we had a view of the... Read more
staff went above and beyond to help us with the stairs and our luggage not really easily accessible clean and unique breakfasts couldn't be redeemed due... Read more
The Ambassadors Residence is a 5-star luxury boutique hotel on the east side of Chania's Venetian harbor that features 13 rooms, which are themed around the history of the German ambassador who originally lived here. Perfect for couples, younger travelers, and families, the Ambassador's Residence includes suites with windows all around for panoramic views of the harbor, wheelchair-accessible spaces, and connecting family rooms that all feature distinct designs and fantastic customized furnishings.
Olivia Typaldos kimkim staff
Based on kimkim staff visit, February 2023 (Learn more)
- The thoughtful design of the rooms stands out, as each reflects a concept tied to the history of the ambassador who once lived here. The rooms all have one-of-a-kind and memorable custom pieces of furniture, lighting, and wall designs.
- The location is perfect for anyone wanting to be close to the sea and enjoy views of the Chania lighthouse and harbor while within immediate walking distance of Old Town.
- There is one room for folks with wheelchairs and a wheelchair lift to get to the reception.
- The hotel occasionally hosts events like Greek-style "fast food parties" at the bar outside, where they order souvlaki, gyros, and snacks for everyone as a way to help guests feel comfortable and enjoy new experiences in Crete.
- While the windows are sound-proofed, the Ambassadors Residence is located above a restaurant and on a busy section of the harbor, so noise can be an issue in the high season. Consider booking a room on a higher floor if you're a light sleeper.
- The hotel doesn't offer parking, but the Chania Port parking lot is a 5-10 minute walk away, and you can arrange for a porter service to help with their bags.
- Some rooms include steps, such as into the bathroom or onto the bed, so those with mobility needs can book the Paper room, which offers a level space.
AuthenticityThe Ambassadors Residence opened in 2014, but its building was constructed back in 1890 as the home of the German ambassador R. Krüger, who quickly became a man of industry around town. Krüger imported and exported various materials and goods like cement, glass, paper, and wood, all of which gave the hotel rooms their names and themes.
The hotel is not only situated in the historic building of Krüger's former home, but it has brought the history of Crete into the present day by highlighting these materials in each room in innovative ways. The Vitraux suite features beautiful stained glass style light fixtures, while the wooden suite has intricate wooden furnishings all over, and all of the rooms include custom pieces handmade in Crete as a way of continuing the legacy of this building and the man who once lived in it.
LocationThe Ambassadors Residence is located on the eastern side of Chania's Venetian Harbor, just near the entrance of the walkway to the lighthouse. The lighthouse itself is visible from various rooms, and guests can walk to the end of it within 15 minutes. The Chania Port public parking lot is less than 10 minutes away by foot, while you can be in the heart of Old Town in under five minutes of walking.
Rooms & BathroomsThe 13 rooms and suites are all designed based on a different material that the German ambassador Krüger imported, and the various room types can accommodate couples, families, or groups of friends. Folks looking for an epic view can book the Glass suite, which features windows all around that give a panoramic look onto the lighthouse and harbor.
Those with wheelchair or mobility needs can check out the Paper Suite, which has level floors and an ADA-compliant bathroom. Connecting room options are available for families or groups of friends, while those booking a short stay can explore the Cement Room, which doesn't offer a view and is available only for up to three-day trips.
Afentoulief 13 & Akti Tompazi 28