Grande Bretagne Hotel, Athens
Athens' most famous luxury hotel has 320 lavish rooms, epic Acropolis views, and a spa in a landmark building on Syntagma Square.
Lovely hotel with a wonderful pool side lunch area! Close to everything you want to see. Concierge very helpful an knowlegable.
The Grande Bretagne is Athens' oldest hotel, whose neoclassical facade is one of the most recognizable in the city. First opened in 1874, this landmark has maintained its reputation as one of the most luxurious thanks to its elegant 19th century style in its 320 rooms, fantastic rooftop Acropolis views, and exceptional hospitality. Perfect for couples, families, or groups, there's something for everyone in this centrally located slice of history overlooking Syntagma Square.
- Marvel at the stunning Acropolis views from the rooftop restaurant, bar, and pool, which is open during the high season.
- The hotel's elegant style of marble floors, vintage furniture, and ornate light fixtures perfectly preserves its 19th century history.
- There's hardly a more central location, as Syntagma Square and metro are just outside the lobby doors, while the Acropolis, Monastiraki, and Kolonaki are all within a short walking distance.
- Multi-bedroom options are available for families or groups.
- Book a room over Syntagma Square to watch the changing of the guards at Parliament right from your balcony.
- Outstanding hospitality makes all guests feel extra taken care of and pampered during their stay.
- While the hotel's location is perfect for easy access to all of Athens' major sites, it can get quite busy and loud, particularly as Syntagma is a gathering place for demonstrations. Book a courtyard view for more quiet.
AuthenticityAs the oldest hotel in Athens, which opened in 1874, the Grande Bretagne has become as recognizable a monument as some of the city's other sites like the Parliament, Zappeion, or the Metropolitan Cathedral. In fact, it's nearly impossible to imagine Syntagma Square without the imposing Neoclassical facade of the Grande Bretagne standing over it.
The inside of the hotel has also maintained that sense of history with its 19th century style. Marble floors and furnishings, elaborate light fixtures, and pristine vintage furniture generate a feeling of traveling back in time, so that guests can feel like they're living like nobility in the Belle Epoque.
LocationThe Grande Bretagne stands over Syntagma Square, just opposite the Parliament, which makes it perfect for anyone wanting to explore Athens easily. Hit the shops of Ermou in just two minutes, grab a bite in Plaka in 10, or experience the history of the Acropolis in 15. The Syntagma Metro is just next to the hotel, which adds an extra convenience for those who want to see other parts of the city.
Rooms and BathroomsThe 320 rooms share a 19th century style that includes marble bathrooms, vintage furniture, and elaborate light fixtures to give guests a sense of luxurious history. Rooms with Acropolis views are available for a higher price. Families or groups can check out the two-bedroom suites, while the penthouse suite includes not only two bedrooms but a private swimming pool with a perfect Acropolis view as well.
Other HighlightsThe hotel offers one of the best rooftop Acropolis views in the city, which you can enjoy either from the restaurant, bar, or pool. While the rooftop pool is open seasonally, guests can make use of the heated indoor swimming pool year round. Decompress in the hotel's spa, which is one of the best in Athens, and break a sweat in its exercise room.
1 Vasileios Georgiou A str., Syntagma Square