Koora Hotel at Monteverde, Monteverde
Upscale property with bungalows set in the cloud forest and a restaurant serving locally grown cuisine.
Wonderful place to stay
If you go to Monteverde, you must stay at Hotel Koora. The views, the staff and rooms are incredible.
the staff very friendly. great ecolodge. Beautiful sunset
Amazing location, staff and accommodations! Nestled up in the mountains with incredible views of the Nicoya peninsula and Pacific ocean, this was our favorite for our... Read more
Beautiful and rustic. Come for the hotel and stay for the service!
Sleep among the cloud forest at Koora Hotel, as each bungalow sits on a hill surrounded by trees with vistas out to the coast. The property is expanding, adding new cabins and other perks with its renovations. For now, perks include meals at the restaurant with its circular terrace, outdoor dining, and views. You can also enjoy time spotting wildlife on-site or with complimentary access to the nature reserve down the street.
Brittany McNamara kimkim staff
Based on kimkim staff visit, July 2022 (Learn more)
- Relax at a quiet and truly stunning property surrounded by nature with great views of the Gulf of Nicoya—meaning pretty amazing daily sunsets.
- Almost all rooms are standalone bungalows, offering more privacy and tranquility with balconies overlooking the cloud forest.
- Guests will enjoy the perk of complimentary access to the nearby Aguti Reserve, filled with 200-year-old trees, birds, butterflies, and other critters, such as agoutis and coatis.
- All the food served at the on-site restaurant is delicious and grown right on the property—and the outdoor seating is perfect for a meal or drinks at sunset.
- The hotel provides board games, picnic supplies, and umbrellas for guest use.
- The hotel is a bit farther from downtown Santa Elena than other recommended properties and requires a 25-30-minute walk uphill along a dirt road.
- Due to the current renovations (expected until spring 2023), it's a bit noisy at the moment, but stay tuned because it'll be great for future travelers.
Additional Notes From BrittanyI was not ready to leave Hotel Koora at the end of my site inspection! The hospitality here is second to none, and the staff is happy to work with guests to meet their needs and special requests—I watched the front desk staff sit down and teach a family of young children how to play the Costa Rican board game, Estampida. There's a lot to love here, but by far, the best part of the visit was the sampling of yogurt, bread, juices, and salsa provided while sitting on the restaurant's balcony, taking in the views of the Gulf of Nicoya. After renovations and expansion, I can't wait to experience Hotel Koora again—the plans look incredible!
AuthenticityExpect a warm welcome from the start, as the hotel will greet you with a towel and drink upon arrival, and then walk you to your room, where a welcome letter awaits. Besides the incredible hospitality, you can truly enjoy time in Costa Rican nature here. You'll have stunning views of the Gulf of Nicoya and complimentary access to Agouti Reserve, with several miles of trails.
LocationYou'll enjoy a quiet and private location far from the main road through Santa Elena. As a tradeoff, getting into town and some of the area attractions takes a little bit longer, so you might want to rent a car or hire a transfer to get out and about. Still, just a five-minute drive gets you to the downtown area, and both the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve and Sky Adventures Park are 15 minutes away.
Rooms & BathroomsHotel Koora appeals to all travelers, though it's quite popular with families. Currently, there are just eight rooms, but the property has plans to expand to over 20 units. Designs for the new bungalows include rooms with an outdoor shower and a private plunge pool. Though the atmosphere will surely change, the hotel will maintain its essence of cabin-like rooms with ceiling fans, minifridges, and balconies, all set high in the cloud forest. Family rooms have (and will continue to feature) kitchens, seating areas, and multiple bedrooms and bathrooms.
Other HighlightsHotel Koora has thought of all the details and provides little things like picnic supplies for snacks in the garden, umbrellas for drizzly days, and board games for cozy evenings. The on-site Restaurant Kiré serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner with all food grown on the property and prepared with care by a local chef. The outdoor dining space sits above the cloud forest and wraps around the restaurant to provide all the views. You can also enjoy a daily happy hour.
350 mts Northeast of the Banco de Costa Rica (BCR) office, Santa Elena