Arenal Springs Resort & Spa, Arenal/La Fortuna
Extensive resort with cozy duplex cabins, views of Arenal Volcano, hot springs pools, and three eateries.
Loved the hotel and privacy of the hot springs. Would definitely stay here again.
Great hot spring pools with swim up bar. The sushi bar at the pool is amazing! People were awesome. The place was spotless! The volcano could... Read more
This resort is THE place to stay if you can fit it into your budget. AMAZING place PROS - BEAUTIFUL resort - Customer Service was absolutely... Read more
This was the best hotel we stayed in! From the greeting with juices to the service at the front desk. They decorated our suite for our... Read more
This is a great hotel, super easy to stay at and extremely well run, very enjoyable stay.
The property at Arenal Springs Resort & Spa hosts 108 rooms, all situated in duplex cabins with warm decor and terraces with volcano views. Enjoy your meals on-site at one of the three restaurants with different themes (Italian, Costa Rican, and Japanese), plus complimentary minibars in each room. You'll also find a huge hot springs area with swim-up bars, waterfalls, and gardens, plus complimentary morning yoga and bird-watching.
Brittany McNamara kimkim staff
Based on kimkim staff visit, March 2022 (Learn more)
- You can enjoy the well-stocked minibar for free, though you'll need to pay if you want to restock it during your stay.
- As a hot springs resort, you can enjoy all the pools and spa treatments at the property, which are open to hotel guests only.
- Enjoy your meals at one of the three on-site eateries; one serves meals throughout the day, and the two others serve lunch and dinner.
- Because the hotel situates each room in a duplex bungalow, you'll only share one wall with your neighbor for a quieter, more private experience—and you'll have your own parking spot right out front.
- Whether strolling through the grounds or relaxing in your room, you can enjoy some of the best views in the area of Arenal Volcano.
- The property is pretty big, so it takes a bit more time to get around on foot, though there's also a shuttle service.
- You'll need to book a transfer or rental car to get around the area, as the property is too far to reach any of the sites or La Fortuna by foot.
- The hotel uses wristbands to enter rooms rather than a key card, which some may dislike.
Additional Notes From BrittanyAt first look, the hotel seemed big, and I could see how it might give off an impersonal vibe. But once you get into the details, it all comes together and feels cozy yet luxuriant. The on-site hot springs are the biggest draw, and I was definitely charmed by the swim-up bars, stone pools with waterfalls, and soaking tubs surrounded by vegetation.
AuthenticityYes, this is a resort, but you certainly won't forget that you're in beautiful Costa Rica. The grounds are huge and provide a nice mix of cultural elements, including views of Arenal Volcano, onsite farms and ranching, jungle gardens, and a large hot springs complex with 13 different pools to enjoy. As a bonus, more than 130 bird species call the property home, and there's a special bird-watching corner to enjoy.
LocationYou'll be in the Palma area, which isn't within walking distance of any major attractions but is fairly convenient for driving around the region. It takes about 20 minutes to drive to the national park, 15 minutes to La Fortuna Waterfall, and about 10 minutes to downtown La Fortuna. As the property isn't on any major roads, it's easy to feel hidden in the jungle while being relatively close to the action.
Rooms & BathroomsThe property covers a lot of ground and almost feels like its own neighborhood, as roads lead to duplex cabins hosting two rooms and offering a parking spot for each. All rooms feature warm wooden furnishings, beamed ceilings, air-conditioning, and complimentary minibars (only pay if you need a restock). Bathrooms have open showers with tropical plants (making it feel like an outdoor shower), and all units provide a terrace with patio furniture and volcano views. Upgrade for a stone soaking tub with a mini waterfall.
Other HighlightsIf you don't mind wearing a wristband, you might find this unique system quite convenient, as it works as your room key and payment for meals or other purchases if you leave a card on file. But the hotel's main highlight is the hot springs, which feature 13 different pools, poolside bars, and areas specifically for kids and adults, plus towels, lockers, and showers. Other perks include the impressive wine selection at the Italian restaurant (with a tasting room) and complimentary morning yoga on the sun deck.
SustainabilityArenal Springs Resort & Spa functions on a sustainable management system, meaning they strive to meet current demands without impacting future needs. Some examples of this include growing food on-site (you can visit the garden, cows, pigs, and chickens), heating water through solar energy, and treating water with a Biodigester, using the byproduct for power.
7 km al Oeste de la Fortuna camino hacia El Volcan Arenal