Tabacón Thermal Resort & Spa
A lush & luxury resort with access to some of the best hot springs in Costa Rica—perfect for couples seeking romance & relaxation
This is a small paradise in Costa Rica.
The views and location could not be beat.
First class all the way. Loved the modern feel of the rooms, the hot springs were the best, and the restaurants simply delicious!
Relaxing great to have thermal on site
It was great! It offered everything that we wanted. I would highly recommend it!
We enjoyed our luxurious suite, spa and thermal hot springs.
Great place to stay and enjoy your beautiful surroundings and hot springs.
This place is absolutely magical!!
You’ll feel like you’re in the middle of the jungle at Tabacon Thermal Resort and Spa, a luxury resort in La Fortuna. All 42 rooms feature natural tones, wooden accents, and views of the rainforest. Your room rate includes access to the thermal pools (a quick shuttle ride away) with a small area and pools explicitly reserved for resort guests. Enjoy daily breakfast near the onsite pool or reserve a 6-course private dining experience surrounded by the rainforest.
Brittany McNamara kimkim staff
Based on kimkim staff visit, January 2022 (Learn more)
- As a luxury property with a relaxed and romantic setting, Tabacon is perfect for couples, friends, or small groups.
- Although day visitors are welcome into the thermal pools, there’s a private adults-only area of the hot springs reserved for resort guests.
- The hot springs at Tabacon are unique, appearing more like a natural river than separate swimming pools, as with other properties.
- You’ll find plenty of food variety, including a beautiful restaurant at the hot springs with private dining available at an additional cost.
- In addition to the thermal pools, the hotel itself features an outdoor pool and hot tub area with cozy cabanas for guests.
- Guests requiring mobility support can enjoy the accessible main hot springs pool with a ramp.
- Rooms include warm wooden features, and all have rainforest views.
- Enjoy spa services for an additional fee, including body wraps, massages, and other treatments using natural materials, such as volcanic mud.
- As the property is on the main road, some rooms may experience noise.
- You must take a shuttle from the hotel to the hot springs (complimentary).
- The property isn’t walkable to the town or restaurants, and you need a car or taxi for self-guided offsite explorations.
AuthenticityTabacon Thermal Resort and Spa does a great job blending into its surrounding environment and highlighting the essence of the Costa Rican jungle, which makes sense considering a nature-loving architect created the luxury property and restored its natural, tropical origins. This small resort with just 42 rooms sits on 900 acres and offers views of the rainforest.
LocationTabacon Thermal Resort and Spa is just off Route 142, about 7 miles (11 km) west of La Fortuna and slightly north of the Arenal Volcano National Park. So although getting to town requires a 20-minute drive, you’ll be closer to the national park’s entrance. Note that the hotel and thermal pool are about 500 meters apart, so you’ll need to take a quick shuttle to get between the two areas.
Rooms & BathroomsYou’ll have your choice of five different room types: two superior room options and three suites. All are warm and inviting with tile floors and small pops of colors, while some feature balconies overlooking tropical gardens. Upgraded units have in-room Jacuzzi tubs, and some suites include kitchenettes, seating areas, and multiple rooms. The bathrooms in the suites are huge, adding to the property’s luxurious vibe. The room price for all guests includes entrance to the hot springs, access to the Shangri-La Gardens (adults-only), and daily breakfast.
Other HighlightsThe main highlight of Tabacon is, of course, its beautiful thermal pools, complete with waterfalls, tropical gardens, wooden bridges, and thatched-roof buildings. You’ll have access to 18 different pools, open to hotel guests from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm. There are onsite lockers that require a refundable deposit and a beautiful restaurant (reservations necessary). You can also book a private dining experience for an additional fee—a unique perk in the area and great for small group dinners, special occasions, or even a romantic proposal.
Although there is one accessible pool area, the narrow stone pathways can be tricky. The spa services are also a treat, as they’re in an open-air cabana surrounded by trees and the sounds of the jungle.
SustainabilityTabacon Thermal Resort and Spa has numerous sustainability initiatives, including (but not limited to) water conservation and environmental education programs, water treatment facilities, the use of local and regional producers, an onsite organic garden for food sourcing, a clean energy project, solar panel installation, natural geothermal heating for the pools, and a “plant a tree” program to help reach carbon neutrality.
13 km oeste del centro de La Fortuna de San Carlos, Alajuela, Costa Rica.