COCO-MAT Athens BC, Athens
Staff were very friendly and attentive. Nick was very helpful. Breakfast was good also and staff. Roof top restaurant and view was amazing. I would stay... Read more
Great location, walking distance to Parthenon, Acropolis Museum, and other historical sites. Lovely rooftop restaurant with to die for views of the Acropolis.
Great location, lovely room, great service. Rooftop pool that was fantastic given the heat in Athens. Epic breakfast included every morning. Highly recommend.
- COCO-MAT Athens BC prioritizes comfort, so travelers can enjoy a good night's sleep in COCO-MAT mattresses and bedding.
- The rooftop of the COCO-MAT Athens BC offers a clear panoramic view of the Acropolis and Museum, which can be enjoyed from the restaurant or the pool.
- Amenities such as a sauna, heated pool, and full spa offer guests the chance to relax in style.
- The design of the hotel feels organic, natural, and chic. The clean, bright, considered rooms and incorporation of ancient ruins and natural elements like turtles in the spa give you the sense of being part of the land and history.
- Guests can enjoy free use of the trademark COCO-MAT wooden bikes to explore Athens in a different way.
- The staff of the COCO-MAT Athens BC goes out of their way to make guests feel cared for and welcome, which adds to the overall warmth of the hotel.
- While some people may take issue with the circular, atrium-style floor plan of the rooms—you can see up to the other floors and down to the lobby—the rooms themselves offer a sense of peace and privacy.
- The rooftop restaurant is technically open to the public, but non-hotel guests need to make a reservation and pay at least 50 euros per person to enjoy a meal and the view.
Additional Notes from OliviaAs someone who has been eyeing a COCO-MAT mattress for myself for about three years, I find the idea of an entire hotel that only has these products to be a total dream. It's clear that care and comfort matter here. The hotel feels bright and open in all aspects: its layout, design, and staff, which is comprised of differently abled folks, speaks to the open and inclusive approach of this hotel that's trying to be part of the world rather than dominate it.
AuthenticityThe ethos of the COCO-MAT brand is organic sustainability, as their mattresses and bedding are all made from entirely natural products, so it's no surprise that the COCO-MAT Athens BC hotel maintains that approach. When you first walk in, you might be startled to find yourself standing on a glass floor with fake tortoise sculptures underneath. It turns out that's more than just a cute design. When excavating the area to build the hotel, vases of ancient Greek coins from the island of Aegina were found at this spot, and the tortoise was the symbol of that island.
The lobby also houses the ruins of an ancient Roman wine distillery, which dates to about 100 BCE and gives the COCO-MAT Athens BC its name. The COCO-MAT Athens BC incorporates the history of its location and organically flows with it rather than imposing itself onto the spot. Warm stone and natural tones are the aesthetic here, and various views of the Acropolis allow its energy to wash over the space so that it feels like a hotel that's both ancient and modern. It's a natural space that's still comfortable for people to stay. Actually, it's more than comfortable; it's straight-up luxurious.
The COCO-MAT Athens BC is a block away from the Acropolis Museum in the neighborhood of Makrygianni, which is between Koukaki and Plaka. The South Slope of the Acropolis and the start of Plaka is a five-minute walk, while hubs like Monastiraki, Syntagma, and their metros are all 15 minutes away by foot. Those who want to explore Athens by bike can do so by hopping one of the free wooden COCO-MAT bikes outside the hotel, which is a great way to explore nearby neighborhoods.
Rooms & BathroomsThe 110 rooms of the COCO-MAT Athens BC are divided primarily based on their view options. There's the Acropolis museum view, the Sygrou Avenue view that faces south toward Mount Hymmetus, and the Acropolis view, which is available for rooms from the 5th floor and above. The majority of the rooms are the same size and differ mostly in their views, but those looking for bigger options can check out the Acropolis or Master suites.
Some of the standard rooms have a split bathroom: There's a WC or water closet with just a toilet and the shower is separate, with a sink between them. The larger suites include a bathtub that's visible from the bed, so they're more appropriate for those with less need for privacy. These suites are suitable for families, as they include pull-out couches and can sleep up to four people.