La Mariposa Hotel, Manuel Antonio
Modern hillside hotel with an outdoor pool, top-floor restaurant, and views of the Pacific Ocean and rainforest
Beautiful location and amazing views . Very kid friendly . Close to good places .
Fantastic view from the restaurant/pool, and some of the rooms as well.
Wonderful rooms and guest services. Incredible views and we especially loved watching all the monkeys who live in the trees surrounding the hotel.
Very cute and quaint and the wildlife was impressive. The monkeys and birds were on full display. Breathtaking!
Our room was beautiful and the location was spectacular!
As it's a hillside property, most travelers stay at La Mariposa Hotel for its incredible views, some of the best in Manuel Antonio. The hotel is updating all rooms, so some are currently better than others, though all have balconies with views. Families and larger groups can enjoy two- and three-bedroom apartments with kitchenettes. Other perks include two infinity pools and free shuttles to Playa Espadilla and the national park.
Adam Gomez kimkim staff
Based on kimkim staff visit, August 2023 (Learn more)
- As a hillside property near Biesanz Beach, this hotel has some of the best ocean views in all of Manuel Antonio, and you'll be close to a couple of other beaches, restaurants, and shops.
- You'll have the opportunity to experience Costa Rica's diverse wildlife without leaving the comfort of the hotel.
- The team's warm demeanor and dedication to providing excellent service contribute to a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere throughout the property.
- The hotel's location in Manuel Antonio puts you close to the action while providing a serene retreat.
- Relax at the two outdoor infinity pools with views, a hot tub, and a swim-up bar.
- The steep pathways could make navigating the property difficult for some, particularly those using strollers or wheelchairs.
- Some rooms need updating, and not all face the ocean.
AuthenticityLa Mariposa Hotel is the go-to property for Manuel Antonio views. The property sits on a hill overlooking the ocean and national park, so you get both jungle vibes and incredible water views at the same time. Although rooms have been added over the years and all look slightly different, every unit has a balcony. It's common to spot wildlife outside your window, including the resident sloth and macaw families.
LocationWhen it comes to ocean views, you can't beat this location. Although it's farther from Espadilla Beach and the national park, the surrounding natural environment makes up for it. Luckily, the hotel operates a scheduled shuttle to the area, and it's only a 20-minute walk (up and down a few hills) from Biesanz Beach. It's also near a grocery store and other restaurants and cafés.
Rooms & BathroomsThe hotel has grown over the years, so some rooms are newer and feel bright, warm, and inviting, whereas others are a bit more modern with clean lines and minimalist stylings. We recommend skipping the standard rooms (very plain) and the garden view rooms since you're probably staying here for the ocean views. But regardless of what you choose, you'll find clean rooms and exceptionally kind staff to help you if you need anything.
Upgraded rooms offer partial or complete ocean views; some have wraparound balconies and outdoor seating areas with Jacuzzis. Families and larger groups may want to book the multi-bedroom apartments with kitchenettes, which are a great option if you want to prepare some of your meals.
Other HighlightsBecause the views are the highlight, the hotel ensures you can fully enjoy them at the hilltop open-air restaurant, lounge/bar area, and infinity pools. All feel very serene with bright neutral colors, green tropical plants, and thatched roofing. Other highlights include an on-site art gallery and a free shuttle to the national park and Espadilla Beach, which runs four times daily.
Manuel Antonio beach