“My adult daughters, wife and I would like to see Reykjavik, Snæfellsnes Peninsula, and South in 6 days. We want to explore but not too rigorous. Need comfortable lodging at night. We want to see and taste Reykjavik at the start.”
Chris McCarty, a local specialist from Iceland, helped this traveler put together a customized itinerary based on 5 Days in Iceland - 7 Unique Self-Drive Itineraries.
Have a similar request? Connect with a local specialist to plan your trip.Get Started
Trip planning highlights
Reykjavik, Snaefellsnes Peninsula, Golden Circle (+ Lake Myvatn)
Trip planning conversation
Hi, welcome to kimkim! I'm Chris and I will be your kimkim travel specialist for your trip to Iceland. I’ll work with you to put together a great custom itinerary for your trip.
Based on your description of what you want to see, here is an idea for a route you could take. To make it less rigorous, you can spend 2 nights in the Snaefellsnes Peninsula so that on the second day you can decide how much you want to see of the area before heading back to the same place, and you can also spend 2 nights around Vik to do the same with the south coast.
Please take a look and let me know what you think, and then I can work to put together a custom trip itinerary for you based on your feedback.
Hi Chris, I am reviewing this with my wife and daughters. It is close to what we are looking for if we could find hotels.
Hi. I can find accommodations and car rental for you, that's part of the service that we offer.
There are a few different accommodation styles and price tiers:
- Guesthouses with shared bathrooms between a few rooms
- Guesthouses with private bathrooms
- Midrange hotels / apartments
- Higher-end / luxury.
Do you have a preference or a target accommodation budget that I should aim for?
To set the expectations: Once you are happy with the overall direction of the custom itinerary along with price estimates, we would ask you to pay a deposit of the kimkim service fee.
Then I will make some more customizations based on your feedback, and make all reservations for hotels and car rental, as well as any other tours or activities you want to join. I will also put together detailed day-by-day information for all of the sights, stops, and optional detours, as well as restaurant recommendations for each of the areas that you will visit.
Chris, OK. For accommodations, we are interested in double or family accommodations with private bath. (4 adults, 2 parents, 2 adult children). I prefer less than US$200 per night but do not know if that is realistic.
I know there are lots of decisions we would have to make, but what price range are we talking about for the total package (we will do our own flights).
Ok, I'll use that as a guide to find some options for you and let you know the total including car rental.
Chris, We booked our flights. We do not necessarily need hotels as guest houses and apartment are fine with private baths. I have some more ideas of what we want to see based on your proposed itineraries and am ready to make a deposit, but I would like to estimate (+/- 50%) the total cost of transportation + car + hotel + entry fees to areas/tours. I understand meals are separate.
Hi, I will get some prices for you today and send some optional tours/activities you can do as well. Most things will be free to do (hiking, views, etc)
Thank you. Things we have been investigating from your map/plan above and would like to do are:
Reykavik: Walking tour, National Museum, Blue Lagoon
Golden Circle: Þingvellir, Silfra Snorkling, Flosagjá fissure, Öxarárfoss Waterfall, Laugarvatn Fontana, Geysir
South: Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon, Visit Svínafellsjökull Glacier, Svartifoss, Foss á Síðu, Kirkjugólf, Eldhraun Lava Field, Sólheimasandur, Skógar Folk Museum, kógafoss Waterfall, possibly also: Þorvaldseyri visitor center
Gljúfrabúi Waterfall, Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
Snæfellsnes peninsula: Eldborg volcanic caldera, Gerðuberg Basalt Columns, Lóndrangar, Vatnshellir Cave
Djúpalónssandur Black Sand Beach, Skarðsvík Beach, Kirkjufell mountain, Berserkjahraun (Lava field), Mt. Helgafell
Ok great. There's a lot in there so I will update the itinerary to see how much we can fit in. You definitely won't be bored during this trip!
Ok, here's what I found
- several options were apartments, everything with private bathrooms
- range of $2000 to about $2200 for the 6 nights depending on the beds you want for certain nights (eg is a sofa bed for 2 ok, some places have 2 bunk beds vs. 4 twins, etc).
- Accommodations are pretty limited for the south, but I also found an option for about $450 less (for 2 nights) if I change the order around a bit, but the downside would be that the drive from that place to Jokulsarlon is about 2.5 hours, and you would have to go there any back that day (there are stops along the way)
- Hatchback: $307 (automatic)
- SUV: $502 (automatic)
If this is in line with what you were thinking, you can add your payment details.
I can then start making the reservations where there is free cancellation (starting in the south where availability is tight), and then we can work through them and many any changes.
Here are some other activities / tours options
Activities and Tours
- Snorkel at Silfra Fissure (18990 ISK, $168 USD)
- Vatnshellir Lava Cave Tour (Adults: 3250 ISK ($29 USD), 12-17 years 1000 ISK ($9 USD))
Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon Tours
- Amphibian tour (larger boat, tours around the icebergs in the lagoon) (5,500 ISK, $48 USD)
- Zodiac tour (smaller boat, goes closer to the glacier tongue where the glacier meets the water) (9,500 ISK, $84 USD)
- Hike, Waterfalls, and Ice Climbing (24990 ISK, $220 USD)
- Glacier Walk (Easy) (11990 ISK, $106 USD)
- Glacier Walk (Moderate) (15990 ISK, $141 USD)
Blue Lagoon packages:
Thanks Chris. I am discussing with my family and will get back to you shortly.
Sure thing. Please let me know what you decide after your discussion.