Gran Hotel Inglés, Madrid
Madrid's first luxury hotel features a vintage cocktail bar serving sherry from Andalusia's iconic La Venencia brand
Gorgeous design. First class staff. Wonderful location. Due to the age of the property, most rooms are on the small side. Nice spa, and a massage... Read more
Gran Hotel Inglés offers comfort and history as the first luxury accommodation in Madrid, opening in 1886. Enjoy the Art Deco ambiance in the lobby, with its cocktail and sherry bar, plus a breakfast buffet and afternoon tea service. The onsite restaurant features a gourmet tapas menu and puts a spin on regional classics. At the end of the day, relax in your room or book a treatment in the spa.
- You'll stay in the Literary Quarter, one of the best pedestrian areas in the city and within walking distance of sites like Plaza Mayor, El Retiro Park, and Puerta del Sol.
- Sleep among the city's history, as this was the first luxury hotel in Madrid, opened on one of the city's first streets with electricity.
- The Art Deco lobby bar serves creative cocktails and iconic La Venencia sherry, plus a breakfast buffet, an afternoon English tea, and a small-bites menu designed by a Michelin-star chef.
- Enjoy typical cuisine from Madrid in the hotel's restaurant, Casa Lobo, which puts a sophisticated twist on the classics.
- Unwind at the spa by soaking in the hot tub or booking treatments, such as massages, facials, and body scrubs.
- As the oldest hotel in Madrid, it doesn't feel quite as polished as some of the other luxury options in the city.
Ash Merscher kimkim staff
Based on kimkim staff visit, June 2022 (Learn more)
AuthenticityThe Gran Hotel Inglés is Madrid's oldest hotel, plus the city's first luxury hotel and the first hotel with a restaurant. For even more interesting history, you'll find the hotel on one of the city's first streets with electricity. It opened its doors in 1886, and those who renovated the building did an excellent job maintaining the building's historic charms, much inspired by Art Deco.
LocationThe hotel describes itself as being "hidden in Madrid," and we agree. Tucked away on a quiet side street of the romantic Literary Quarter, you get a central location without all the noise. This neighborhood is pedestrian-friendly and ideal for a tapear (tapas walk). You can also walk to many of the city's sites, including El Retiro Park and the Prado Museum, plus Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, and the Royal Palace.
Rooms & BathroomsChoose from rooms and suites, all featuring decor styled by a New York design firm. Wood floors, iron light fixtures, and colorful art offer a sense of playful sophistication. Grab a suite if you'd like to add a seating area, desk, free-standing bathtub, or private terrace with an outdoor plunge pool. If you're looking for extra space, the hotel's royal suite is the largest room available in the entirety of Madrid's historic city center.
Other HighlightsThe hotel's grand lobby is where the action is. In this elegant space, you can enjoy daily breakfast, Sunday brunch, afternoon English tea, creative cocktails, a sherry menu from Spain's iconic La Venencia brand, and bar food designed by a Michelin chef. For dinner, the property's onsite restaurant, Casa Lobo, puts an elevated twist on classic regional dishes.
+34 91 360 00 01
Calle Echegaray 8