Petit Palace Posada del Peine
Simple 400-year-old hotel (oldest boutique hotel in the city) on the edge of Plaza Mayor
This Petite Palace property lets you sleep in Madrid's first boutique hotel, over 400 years old. You can see one of the arched entranceways to Plaza Mayor from the hotel's front door, and you'll be within walking distance of other sites, such as the Royal Palace and Puerta del Sol. The hotel is quite simple and offers small yet comfortable rooms, plus a breakfast buffet.
- The history of this hotel is impressive, as it's the oldest boutique hotel in Madrid, operating for over 400 years.
- The location is ideal for those wanting to be next to Plaza Mayor and all the central action. The square is one block away, and you'll enjoy streets lined with shops, cafés, and bars.
- You can enjoy a standard daily breakfast downstairs in the dining area.
- There are rooms available for up to six people, which feature bunk beds and are ideal for families.
- If you want to explore Madrid on two wheels, you can rent bikes right from the hotel.
- The hotel shows a lot of wear and tear and doesn't have any common areas, like a lounge or terrace.
- Because you're right in the buzz of the city, the rooms facing the street can get a little noisy.
Ash Merscher kimkim staff
Based on kimkim staff visit, June 2022 (Learn more)
AuthenticityIt doesn't get much more authentic than sleeping in a 400-year-old hotel, the oldest boutique hotel in Madrid. Enjoy a few nods to the past, including original wood flooring and iron staircase, decorative ceilings, and a solid-wood bookcase.
LocationPlaza Mayor is the city's historic town square, and Posada del Peine is just outside one of its arched entrances on Calle de la Sal. You'll see the entry as soon as you step foot out of the hotel and can enjoy being surrounded by buzzy cafés, tapas bars, and shops. You'll also be within walking distance of sites like Puerta del Sol, the Royal Palace, and Gran Vía.
Rooms & BathroomsRooms are small and simple yet clean and comfy. Double and family rooms include desks, and some are split-level or have balconies with views of the bustling street below. Family rooms have bunk beds and can sleep up to six people, but those rooms with four bunkbeds kind of give off a hostel-room vibe.
Other HighlightsThe hotel serves a pretty decent breakfast buffet in the dining area, with a historic feel with exposed brick walls. Besides the usual selection of cold cuts, cheese, fruits, and pastries, you can also create your own granola or salad bowl. You can rent bikes right from the hotel for those wanting to cycle around the city.
+34 91 523 81 51
Calle Postas, 17
Cornelius, NC | Reviewed on Sep 11, 2022
This hotel was in the absolute best location in Madrid. We could literally walk to everywhere we wanted to go! Take a few steps and you are in Plaza Mayor with so many restaurants and shops. Our room was a little on the small side, but it was worth it for the location. Breakfast was very good and the staff was super friendly and helpful. Read more