- Enjoy the thrill of a dog sled ride through the Arctic's snowy landscape
- Sleep under the Northern Lights in a cozy bungalow with a wood stove
- Spend a day at an alpine center offering snow hiking, skiing, sledding, and ice skating
- Explore the waterfront of Alta and the Alta Fjord
- Learn about the Sami community and ride a reindeer sled through the snow
|Day 1||Arrive in Alta - Explore the town||Alta|
|Day 2||Experience a dog sled ride and relax in your tented bungalow||Alta|
|Day 3||Enjoy skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, or snowmobiling near Alta||Alta|
|Day 4||Enjoy a reindeer sled experience with a local Sami guide||Alta|
|Day 5||Depart Norway|
Day 1: Arrive in Alta - Explore the town
Welcome to Norway. You'll start your Arctic adventure in the northern town of Alta, also known as the "City of the Northern Lights".
Alta is the largest town in Norway’s northernmost county and lies in the inner reaches of the Alta Fjord. Once you touch down at Alta's airport, you'll transfer to your hotel in the city center by taxi or with the airport bus.
Once you're settled into your accommodation, you'll enjoy free time to wander around the town and stroll along its waterfront. For dinner, there are several restaurants from which to choose. Alta Bistro, Restaurant Havblikk, and Trine og Trasti all feature local and regional ingredients, while the chic, cozy space of Du Verden Matbar serves Nothern Norway's traditional dried fish.
Day 2: Experience a dog sled ride and relax in your tented bungalow
In the morning, you'll enjoy free time to spend in Alta before heading out on an overnight excursion. Transferred by your private guide, you'll arrive at a cozy lodge outside of Alta, where you'll combine the region's rustic wilderness with a touch of luxury. Your first order of business is to enjoy an exciting and scenic dog sled ride through the snowy landscape, experiencing the region's famed crisp air and natural winter light.
Once you return, you'll have time to freshen up before enjoying dinner in the lodge's picturesque, renovated barn. Afterward, you can join your fellow guests for a nightcap in the lounge or relax in the jacuzzi and sauna.
When it’s time for bed, you'll settle into your tent, also known as a lavvu. These private, insulated bungalows feature a double bed, comforters, and heated blankets, plus a wood-burning stove so you can watch the crackling fire as you curl up in bed. And on clear nights, you can watch the stars and (if lucky) the Northern Lights through the floor-to-ceiling windows.
Day 3: Enjoy skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, or snowmobiling near Alta
After breakfast at the lodge, you'll have your choice of several outdoor activities to experience in the Arctic. Some suggested excursions include:
- Skiing: Just outside of Alta, you’ll find an alpine center that offers downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, sledding, and even ice skating. A café on-site serves hearty food, hot drinks, and lounge areas to warm up and relax before heading out again.
- Snowshoe tour: Take a trip into the wilderness using the region's traditional method of snowshoes (although the shoes themselves are thoroughly modern). You'll fully experience the solitude of the nature that surrounds you, keeping an eye out for animal tracks from creatures such as reindeer and moose.
- Winter hiking: Alta has extraordinary nature with several winter hiking tours, ranging from moderate to strenuous throughout the Arctic wilderness. Hikes can be arranged for anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours.
- Snowmobiling tour: Snowmobiling is a favorite activity in the area, with many opportunities to join the fun whether you are experienced or a newbie. After a tutorial from an expert guide, you'll climb aboard your snowmobile and speed through the forest trails.
In the late afternoon, return to the lodge to relax in the lounge or spa, enjoy dinner, and try your luck in capturing the Northern Lights from the comfort of your bungalow.
Day 4: Enjoy a reindeer sled experience with a local Sami guide
Today you'll enjoy a unique experience with the local Sami community, which is Europe's northernmost indigenous population. After breakfast, a Sami guide will transfer you into the wilderness where you'll embark on a reindeer sled tour along a 1.8-mile (3 km) prepared trail. During the tour, you'll learn about Sami culture and the history it shares with the local reindeer herds.
Towards the end of the tour, you'll warm up by an open fire in a typical Sami tent and enjoy hot coffee, traditional cake, and other small snacks. As the sky darkens, you'll do as the Sami have done for centuries, by wrapping yourself in warm fur and searching for the Northern Lights.
After the tour, you'll be transported back to Alta where you'll enjoy your final night in Norway.
Day 5: Depart Norway
It's time to say goodbye to Norway. Enjoy one last morning in the Arctic before transferring to the airport in time to catch your flight.