Pestana Plaza Mayor Madrid
An elegant hotel set on Plaza Mayor with a terraced restaurant and library lounge overlooking the square
You can stay directly on Plaza Mayor at this Pestana hotel, which makes up part of the famous square's perimeter. Request a room that overlooks the plaza to enjoy the iconic scene any time you want, but you'll also find a large library lounge with an exceptional view, plus an outdoor terrace on the square reserved for guests. The rooms are comfy, but we suggest upgrading to a larger unit for more space. You'll also enjoy a rooftop terrace and pool, plus a beautiful inner courtyard and lobby lounge.
- This ideal location puts you right at Plaza Mayor, with a large lounge overlooking the square and many rooms featuring plaza views and balconies.
- Enjoy breakfast and other meals at the onsite restaurant, which features an airy and atmospheric inner-courtyard terrace.
- Unique to the city, you'll have access to the seasonal rooftop pool and sundeck, plus an indoor pool open all year, which connects to the hotel's spa.
- At Plaza Mayor, you'll notice many restaurants with terraces, and the hotel has one exclusively for guests.
- Connecting rooms open up opportunities for families to enjoy staying at the property.
- Plaza Mayor is a very busy tourist hotspot, so it can get a little noisy outside the hotel (though rooms tend to stay mostly quiet), especially during holidays and football matches.
Ash Merscher kimkim staff
Based on kimkim staff visit, June 2022 (Learn more)
AuthenticityThough a fire destroyed the original building, the hotel's structure dates back to 1631. Set directly on the square as one of its borders, the hotel does a good job maintaining its history while still offering modern comforts. For example, you can enjoy swimming in the indoor pool, housed in the old coal cellar and featuring preserved arches and buttresses from the original construction.
LocationPestana Plaza Mayor is literally on Plaza Mayor. One side of the hotel covers part of the famous square's perimeter with its own private terrace on the plaza. Because of this exceptional location, you'll be in Madrid's energetic Old Town center and within walking distance of sites such as the Royal Palace, Mercado de San Miguel, Puerta del Sol, and Catedral de la Almudena.
Rooms & BathroomsEven the standard rooms feel bright, colorful, and plush, though the bathrooms are small with a sink inside the bedroom. For a bit more space, choose a superior room or a higher category, and to make the most of the location, opt for a unit facing Plaza Mayor. Suites add nice perks like soaking tubs, sofas, and exposed brick walls.
Other HighlightsThere's a lot to keep you busy at Pestana Plaza Mayor. To start, enjoy your daily breakfast in the airy inner courtyard, which feels more like a garden terrace. Then head to the spa with its indoor pool, splashing among preserved arches and buttresses. If you prefer to swim outside, there's also a rooftop pool and lounge overlooking the historic skyline. When hungry, grab a meal at the onsite restaurant or lobby bar.
Calle Imperial, 8