- Travel along the steep Flåm Railway
- Enjoy dinner in an outdoor restaurant in one of Bergen's cobble-stoned streets
- Take the Fløibanen funicular to the top of Mount Fløyen for a city view
- Spend the evening chasing the northern lights near Tromsø
- Enjoy a guided walk through history in Tromsø
|Day 1||Arrive in Oslo||Oslo|
|Day 2||Train to Flåm - Ferry to Balestrand||Balestrand|
|Day 3||Ferry to Bergen||Bergen|
|Day 4||Bergen City Tour||Bergen|
|Day 5||Transfer to Tromsø||Tromsø|
|Day 6||Explore Tromsø - Chase Northern Lights||Tromsø|
|Day 7||Explore Tromsø||Tromsø|
|Day 8||Depart Norway|
Day 1: Arrive in Oslo
Welcome to Oslo!
After arriving, you'll check into your hotel and, depending on your arrival time, you can explore this picturesque city.
Oslo is the capital in Norway, with about 650 000 inhabitants with a lot of history. According to the Norse sagas, Oslo was founded by King Harald Hardrade and scientists have found evidence of Christian burials near the ruins of St. Clement's church that date back over 1000 years ago. This is also why Oslo celebrated 1000 years in the year 2000.
Oslo is easy to get around, and you can walk from one side of the city to the other. You can also use local transport to get around the city easily.
Day 2: Train to Flåm - Ferry to Balestrand
After an early breakfast, you'll travel on the Flåm Railway, to the picturesque village of Flåm. The journey is steep in places and passes through waterfalls and stunning landscapes, so keep your camera close.
When you arrive in Flåm, sit back and have lunch at a café or the local microbrewery. Enjoy the serene nature or go for a stroll through town before you catch your mid-afternoon ferry ride, which takes approximately two hours, to the picturesque harbor town of Balestrand. Along the way, you'll pass a portion of the Sognefjord, Norway's longest and deepest fjord. As the mountains come closer and higher, keep an eye out for eagles and seals.
You'll arrive with enough time to have dinner in this fjord-side town, known for its 19th-century architecture. Some great local restaurants include Vikingertreff, Pilgrim, and Ciderhuset.
Day 3: Ferry to Bergen
After breakfast, you can decide which ferry to take to Bergen. You can either spend the morning exploring Balestrand and take the afternoon ferry or you can opt for the morning ferry and arrive in Bergen sooner.
Either way, once you arrive in Bergen, the rest of the day is yours to explore on your own. This is a picturesque and compact city rich in culture and history with a great bar and restaurant scene, so get out and walk around the cobblestoned streets.
Some great local options include:
- BarBarista is a funky coffee shop, restaurant, and music venue.
- Bryggeloftet & Stuene is a traditional mountain lodge restaurant with great views.
- Zupperia is an eclectic European restaurant right on the Bryggen wharf.
- Bare Vestland is a basement-level eatery specializing in Norwegian tapas.
- Pygmalion Økocafe and Galleri is a healthy, organic restaurant located in a historic space with a fireplace and an art gallery for art exhibitions and live music.
- Matbørsen: Here you'll find three restaurants in one serving international cuisine in a gorgeous, airy space which is the former Bergen Stock Exchange from 1862.
Chat with a local specialist who can help organize your trip.
Day 4: Bergen City Tour
After enjoying breakfast, you will meet up with a local guide for a tour of Bergen, which is the second-largest city in Norway. Rich in culture and history, this walkable city boasts a nice offering of food and drink options, along with activities to suit any traveler.
Be sure to take the Fløibanen funicular, or hike up the trail on foot, to the top of Mount Fløyen for the best view of the city. You can then leisurely stroll back down the path while discovering the hidden troll sculptures along the way.
It's also worth checking out the Bryggen area of downtown to view the old wooden houses dating back to the 1700s, along with Bergen's best historical sites and museums. For a rest, stop in one of the local coffee shops in Bryggen and warm up with a hot drink and pastry.
Throughout your day, enjoy cuisine from one of the many restaurants in the city and stop in for coffee, tea, and pastries at one of the traditional Norwegian bakeries.
Day 5: Transfer to Tromsø
Today you will travel from Bergen to Tromsø.
You'll be able to take the bus to the airport in Bergen in time for your flight to Tromsø. After arriving, you can then take a bus to Tromsø's city center.
Day 6: Explore Tromsø - Chase Northern Lights
Today you'll have the whole day free to explore Tromsø. Join a walking tour of the city, set sail on a whale-watching expedition off the coast, or wander the historic streets on your own, discovering the infectious energy of northern Norway's cultural hub.
When night falls, settle in for a cozy evening, or dress warmly and head out for another opportunity to watch for the elusive northern lights, joining the Northern Lights Chase again to search for the rare phenomenon from the best vantage points.
You will travel by bus from Tromsø as you chase the lights. The good local knowledge from your guide will ensure you're traveling to the best areas for the lights as well as good scenery for photographs. The guide will also tell you interesting information about the northern lights including both science and folklore. You will also receive assistance for adjusting your camera settings when taking photographs of the lights.
Day 7: Explore Tromsø
After breakfast, you will have the whole day to explore the city of Tromsø. If you'd like to relax, simply wander through the charming streets and visit the many coffee shops and restaurants. You can also join a local guide for a tour.
Here are a few suggestions that can be arranged:
- Walk Through History: Meet your local guide and set off on a three-hour walking tour of Tromsø. Visit the largest city in the north—street by street—and take in its rich culture and beautiful architecture, including historic wooden houses dating as far back as 1789. View relics and buildings dating back to medieval times, and learn about the city’s extensive fishing culture, which was established when trade in Norway was at its peak. You will also tour the stunning Arctic Cathedral.
- Beer tour: Join a local guide for a beer tour in Tromsø!
In the evening, you can enjoy Tromsø's great restaurants and lively nightlife.
Day 8: Depart Norway
Today you'll say your goodbyes to Norway as you head to the airport in time for your international flight!